A decrease in your income can make it hard to take care of your children financially. If you are making court appointed payments, then you should not stop making them. You should talk to a child support attorney Orlando FL law firm. Read on to find out how to lower your court appointed payments to the mother of your child.

Talk To The Other Parent

You should talk to the mother of your child before taking legal action. It helps to explain your financial situation and ask about modifying your payments. You may need to pay a lower amount, but give a timeframe for when the payments go back to normal. If the mother of your child refuses the new payment plan, then you should request a hearing with a family court judge.

Ask For A Modification Of Payments

The next step is asking for a court hearing. At the hearing, you can ask the judge for lower child support payments. You can argue for the amount that you think appropriate in this setting. Most judges will consider your request and lower your payments within the state’s guidelines.

Family court has something called temporary and permanent modifications. A modification is when the agreement for your support payments is changed. This change can be temporary or permanent. If you want to get a modification, then you have to show that your financial situation has changed. For example, a letter from the unemployment office shows that you lost your job and your current income.

Talk To A Lawyer

The court system takes the financial support of a child seriously. Every child has the right to receive financial support from both parents. This money is for your child not the guardian of the child. If you do not make the payments, then the court can garnish your wages, take your driving privileges and put you in jail. However, it helps to have representation from a lawyer.

A lawyer can negotiate on your behalf and keep you out of court. He or she can also help with filing the right documents. If you need to reduce your child support payments, then a lawyer can help with presenting evidence to your judge.

Leave a Comment