You’ve probably heard about someone being released on bail after they’ve been arrested, but not everyone knows exactly what that means. Basically, bail is a set amount of money that acts as insurance between the court and someone who has been arrested. A person in jail can pay this amount in cash and be released. As long as they show up for all of their required court dates, the bail is returned to the defendant.

Unfortunately, not everyone can affort to pay their bail in full after they’ve been arrested. In order for them to post bail and be released from jail, they may need the services of a bail bondsman. A bail bondsman will post bail for someone in jail, usually for 10 percent of the total amount that is paid. The defendant covers the remaining 90 percent in collateral that is held by the bondsman. If the defendant makes all of their court cases, the bond is dissolved, and the collateral is returned. The bondsman keeps the 10 percent that was paid as payment for their services. If the defendant fails to show up in court, the bondsman must pay the remainder of the bail, usually in the form of the collateral that was provided to them.

For example, a person who was arrested and needs to post $10,000 would pay a bail bondsman $1,000 along with some form of collateral to be released. This collateral can be anything that can cover the $9,000 such as a house or a vehicle. That person later shows up in court for their trial and is acquitted. They get their collateral back, but the bondsman keeps the $1,000 initially paid to them as their payment. If the defendant fails to appear in court, it is up to the bondsman to pay the remainder of the bail in the form of the defendant’s collateral. The house, vehicle, or whatever else could’ve been put up by the defendant is lost.

A bail bondsman can sometimes mean the difference between staying in jail for weeks or months or staying on the outside until your case goes to trial, so don’t hesitate to contact one if you need to post bail in Delaware OH.

Leave a Comment